Ongoing or regular activities in 2019
continuing personal prayer and eco-conversion of
regular eco tips in parish newsletter;
monthly contributions to the Prayers of the Faithful;
ongoing upkeep of COC web pages
Time-specific activities in 2019
2 beach cleans
- Eco Fair with 7 stalls on aspects
of sustainable at St Mary's Centre (April)
several submissions to Napier City Council
on their draft Waste Minimisation
One of the main goals of the Care of Creation group is to
inform our parishioners about what they can do to honour
the call made by Pope Francis in his encyclical Laudato Si’
to look after our planet and the people on it much better
than we have done lately. To achieve this the group:
- Started with ourselves, changing our own consumer
habits – for example eating less meat; using less
rubbish bags by more recycling; stop accepting plastic
bags at the supermarket; turn off appliances at the
- Regularly publishes an eco-tip or an inspiring
statement from Laudato Si’ in the parish newsletter.
- Organised a formation day on eco spirituality in
March 2017, given by Fr. Neil Vaney SM and attended by
over 25 parishioners.
- Held “Save the environment and save money” eco
fairs. Over the months of April, May and June 2017, we
visited each church community in the parish, with a set
of six tables, each with a topic with lots of tips to
save both money and the environment.
For more information on this see
Care of Creation Eco Fair.
The group has also undertaken a number of actions to help
the environment. We:
- Joined the Anglican community for beach clean ups.
- Talked with parish staff on how we could reduce
wasteful consumption in the parish.
- Completed a comprehensive eco-audit of the Parish
buildings with recommendations how we could reduce the
impact on the environment in the use of these buildings.
- Helped organise the first World Day of Prayer
Service for the Care of Creation, 1st of September 2016.
This has become an annual event in our parish.